Laura F. Jones
- University of Houston Law Center (J.D. magna cum laude 1993); Order of the Coif; Order of the Barons; Houston Law Review (Research Editor); Intern for Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, Hon. Carolyn Dineen King (1991-1993)
- University of Houston (Honors Program) (B.A. summa cum laude 1990)
Admissions & Affiliations
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Member, Houston and American Bar Associations
- Member, Houston and American Intellectual Property Law Associations
- Member, University of Houston Honors College Alumni Association
LAURA FRIEDL JONES
Throughout her legal career, Laura has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in the trial and appeal of complex commercial, intellectual property, antitrust, products liability, and general business matters. Her trial experience includes first and second chair trials, and ranges from a variety of jury trials in Texas state and federal courts to multiple patent infringement jury trials in Delaware federal court. In 2007, she was recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer - Rising Star by Texas Monthly Magazine.
Laura has extensive experience with appellate briefing; trial motion practice (both pretrial and post-verdict); drafting and arguing jury charges, objections and other pretrial matters; arguing legal issues at trial; and formulating critical aspects of litigation and appellate strategy.
- Represented a patent owner in a patent infringement lawsuit in the Southern District of Texas, ultimately resulting in a nine-figure judgment in favor of the patent owner. The judgment was affirmed on appeal by the Federal Circuit, and the U.S. Supreme Court denied certiorari.
- Represented patent owners in the oil, chemical, and oil field services industries in patent infringement cases involving technologies such as ethylene oxide catalysis, hydraulic fracturing, and drill bit design.
- Represented a plaintiff business owner in a corporate squeeze-out case involving international defendants, obtaining a favorable settlement after the first week of trial.
- Obtained a favorable jury verdict for an auditing company in a breach of contract lawsuit against the City of Beaumont. The trial court subsequently overturned the jury's verdict, granting the City's post-trial motion for JNOV. Laura wrote the briefs on appeal, which resulted in the Texarkana Court of Appeals reversing the JNOV and rendering judgment in favor of the auditing company in accordance with the jury's verdict.
- Obtained a jury verdict, judgment, and ultimate recovery for an individual plaintiff in a business case, through several appeals and the defendant's attempted bankruptcy.
- Represented a major oil company in an antitrust class action prosecuted in the Western District of Pennsylvania.
- Represented former employees of a mortgage lending company in a case involving trade secrets, tortious interference, and covenants not to compete.
- Represented a software company in a trade secret misappropriation case against former employees.
- Represented one of the nation's largest banks in connection with international disputes involving claims by foreign investors.
- Schirrmeister Diaz-Arrastia Brem LLP (2005-present)
- Slusser Wilson & Partridge LLP (formerly Slusser & Frost, LLP) (1999-2005)
- Solar & Fernandes, L.L.P (1995-1998)
- Baker & Botts, L.L.P. (1993-1995; 1998-1999)
Articles & Seminars
- American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law - 50th Annual Spring Meeting, Using Antitrust, Business Torts and State Law Claims in Patent Cases, April 2002 (with Claudia Wilson Frost)
- Advanced Civil Litigation, University of Houston Law Center-Continuing Legal Education, Discovery Update: Scope, Relevance and Privilege, April 1996 (with Edward F. Fernandes)
- Advanced Civil Litigation, University of Houston Law Center-Continuing Legal Education, Damages: Evaluation and Proof in Business Cases, May 1995 (with G. Irvin Terrell)
- Jennifer S. McGinty & Laura F. Jones, Enforcing Foreign Judgments in Texas, 11 Tex. Transnational L.J. 1 (1995)